Many would argue that golf is a fair weather sport, but with the help of our Top 10 Winter Golf Hacks you can enjoy and improve your game this winter!
- Keep your hands warm– When your hands are too cold, you lose feeling in them and golf becomes almost impossible. Buy a pair of winter mitts (FootJoy Weather Sof Gloves now in Stock) and drop a couple of hand warmers in your pockets to keep your hands toasty (also in stock!!) .
- Take more club- It’s common knowledge that the ball doesn’t go as far in the winter. When you couple that up with no roll on the greens, more club is needed.
- Dress Smart – Use a base layer and have appropriate waterproof clothing (including golf shoes). The pro-shop is stocked with some great options currently including the new Island Green Jacket range! Ask a member of the pro-shop for more details next time you’re in store.
- Adjust your driver loft- With the soft ground that we encounter in the winter, we barely get any roll-out on our drives. If you’ve got an adjustable driver, perhaps put the loft up or slide a weight back to increase launch. If your driver isn’t adjustable, tee it up slightly higher and swing more on the up.
- Try a round in the Unleash Studio– Too wet to tackle the course? Need a break from the rain? Try using an indoor golf simulator. Ivanhoe’s “Unleash Studio is a great virtual golf simulator. Play Pebble Beach or St Andrews with a friend in stunning detail, taking less then 1 hour!
- Grab a hot drink from the Pro Shop- Brighton is very lucky to have coffee and hot chocolates on site. Prior to your round and at the halfway mark, stop by and grab a hot beverage. It will help keep your hands and tummy warm.
- Understand winter golf rules- Check with pro-shop prior to your round- Depending on the course condition you might be able to use preferred lies or clean your ball.
- Favour a simple chip and run shot– Wet fairways and softer and slower greens can cause fat and short chip shots. Play more chip and runs with straighter-faced clubs like a 7 or 8 iron.
- Walk instead of ride– A great way to keep warm is to keep on the move. Favour walking around the course over being in a cart. This will help keep the heart rate up and avoid waiting for your turn in the cold.
- Most importantly have fun- There will be some challenges and laughs had while playing this winter. Remember its all for fun! Enjoy yourself, enjoy the shorter & quieter rounds, enjoy the exercise, and keep an eye out discounts and special offers!
Thanks for reading our Top 10 Winter Golf Hacks.